De-cat power?

• Hey up all

Finished replacing the alternator today, and was gonna do de-cat but got into few probs. Ended up wanting to drive the car so left it for now.

Question is what kind of power improvement would you see with a de-cat? its a 1.8 v6 jobby.

Gonna take it to garage tommorow for a price to swap over but i know wht garrages are like by me and probably be stupid price so wandering if its actually worth it?

cheers

• Anywhere from 5-10% power gain would be my guess unless someone has done back to back power runs?!

You gain some nice sound though and maybe some MPG…

Best to do your own labour tbh to make it a worthy mod. Even an hours labour at a Garage is bordering on £50 depending where you go.

• I tried quickly when i had it on the ramp sthis morning changing the alternator.

Could not get the bolts off.

Ill check what they say anyway tommorow fingers crossed they say it will be a tenner hahaha

• eah old exhaust bolts can be a frikin nightmare. Sometimes easier to cut 'em off or overtighten them till they snap then replace them, as your going to need to change it again come MOT time.

Maybe try a good overnight soaking in Plusgas before the above might give you the edge over them.

Heres hoping for a tenner!

• cheers mate

if they change the bolts and new gaskets and stuff ill go with £20 but thats it.

Ill haggle with em, only gotta undo a few bolts.

• tonight spray the bolts with alot of wd40. I had exactly the same thing when i had to get my cat off. when you take it to the garage just ask them to impact them off with an air gun (I am guessing it is the two bolts nearest the manifold that you couldnt get off, myself and jesta had the same problem) I didnt have a decat pipe so i just beat the insides out of the cat. personally, as i am still running a standard exhaust system, i dont notice any noise improvements, but it is alot more egar to get to the redline than it used to be.

• saying that my car sounds really loud for a standard exhaust, i have no idea what someone done before me.

Its a bog standard cat by the looks of it underneath.

And yeah i went for the bolts that the guy off here said are locking ones, could not budge em.

Didnt have anything spare to forse em off though. Ill see what they say tommorow. Gonna try me mates garrage also and offer him a few beers to just lop it off.

If i get there as soon as they open its a bit of extra cash for the bloke doing it :)

• Bloke charged twenty quid to get em off.

Ended up cutting them off with oxy i think.

Oh well all done anyway.

Bit louder and seems a bit more pokey but difficult to tell really.

Seems worth it :)

• @ab89438d53=EDDIE31:

Bloke charged twenty quid to get em off.

Ended up cutting them off with oxy i think.

Oh well all done anyway.

Bit louder and seems a bit more pokey but difficult to tell really.

Seems worth it :)

I went to a custom exhaust place cost me £50 to supply and fit it Stainless steel 2.5" and I took the cat to the local scrap yard and got £30 for it :)

So only cost me £20 :)

• Noticed after that i get a really strong smell of petrol, is this normal?

Could it be overfueling or is it just fumes from the exhaust where now the cats gone its not doing what it was, if that makes any sense what so ever.

Cheers

• petrol smell is normally a petrol leak, but put your nose near the exhaust mine smelt like real fuel again after the cat went

• shoud not be a leak as it was fine before i swapped the cat to the de-cat pipe.

Ill have a whiff when no one is looking, dont wanna look like im some wierdo sniffing exhausts hahaha

• pmsl exhaust sniffer. yeah the fumes do seem pretty strong after i decat mine but i have like a gazillion holes in my exhaust so they seem to come straight in the window :lol:

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB