HELP!! No Reverse after fitting KLZE engine

• I do have the dropping gear lever problem but I now have a new mount to fit this weekend but it never affected it in the old one,
    I will be removing all the linkage and trying the box insitue to make sure it has the reverse gear or I can find it at all direct on the slector otherwise i think it will get a new box on it very soon, but its funny watching the wife push me into the drive everyday but its an arse when i have to go shopping or need to go anywhere

• Does the MX-3 have a 'lock out' on reverse so that you can't select it when in a forward gear? Could be stuck or something?

Can't remember if they do or not.

• dont know will try and find out

• See these boxes is there an extra ball thing for the rods? A saxo I was working on the day doing a clutch did put it on the wrong one and the gears were fecked

Has a spare for fuck knows what reason but the other gave it more movement but saying that u can get into 5th so must have enough

• have you tried putting it into reverse with out the gear stick? take the gear selector rod off and use a large screw driver and put it into the selector hole rotate clockwise and forward

• PROBLEM SOLVED BY ACCIDENT TODAY

Today got to work and a huge puddle of oil appeared in under an hour under the car and it stunk so it was obvious it was gearbox oil so lunchtime jacked it up to look where it was coming from and found it was pissing out the reverse light switch, took it out, the copper washer was overtightened and split.
    I put a new copper washer on and bingo reverse gear came back, looks like the switch is so close to the selector inside the gearbox just that extra almost 1mm further in and the switch blocks the reverse selector, big surprise as they are not usually engineered that tightly into the gearbox on most cars, but problem solved now :D :D :D

Now just tickover and missfire to sort :D :D

• I ran mine for about a week with no gearbox oil as guys who done engine swap forgot to put oil back in box, no damaged was caused and it's still strong to the day. I had castrol cheap oil in first and I felt very sloppy and old but switched to redline Mt-90 oil and it made a massive difference. ( opie oils )

Glad it's all fixed !

• @5f21cb179c=djmarcopolo:

PROBLEM SOLVED BY ACCIDENT TODAY

Today got to work and a huge puddle of oil appeared in under an hour under the car and it stunk so it was obvious it was gearbox oil so lunchtime jacked it up to look where it was coming from and found it was pissing out the reverse light switch, took it out, the copper washer was overtightened and split.
    I put a new copper washer on and bingo reverse gear came back, looks like the switch is so close to the selector inside the gearbox just that extra almost 1mm further in and the switch blocks the reverse selector, big surprise as they are not usually engineered that tightly into the gearbox on most cars, but problem solved now :D :D :D

Now just tickover and missfire to sort :D :D

Mine misfired at first becouse it was running rediculously lean. Old fuel pump was the problem.. And what whas the tickover again?

• doesn't the MX-3 use dexron 2 ATF (automatic transmission fluid) even in the manual transmissions?

Or am I thinking of my old mondeo?

Anyone got a Chiltons to check?

• Just dug out my own chiltons.

Recomends:

For 1990-1992
    SAE 75w-90 (gl-4 or GL-5) or Dexron 2 ATF for all season protection
    and
    SAE 80w-90 (gl-4 or GL-5) for use in sustained temperatures above -18 (minus) degrees centigrade

For 1993-1998
    SAE 75w-90 (gl-4 or GL-5) for all season protection
    and
    SAE 80w-90 (gl-4 or GL-5) for use in sustained temperatures above +10 (plus) degrees centigrade

• Hmm think it must be your ford mumgero that uses ATF we checked the recommended oil on the system of a regular motor factors and they said 75w 90 for MX3+6 so it has some expensive 80w90 in it as thats all i had available at the time

The misfire I think is due to the timing on the dizzy as we need a timing light and didnt have one, we just timed it by eye so thats on the list to do and the tickover is throttle body temp sensor, will clean friday or replace after my holiday

• See my post above…

SAE 75w-90 (gl-4 or GL-5) or Dexron 2 ATF for all season protection

Under Manual Transmission Chiltons says ATF is ok for 1990-1992 vehicles, for all weather protection.

Just not needed in this country as its too warm.

I was almost correct….

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB