MX-3 or MX-5?

• As I've posted here before, I'll be more than likely selling my '3 within a couple of months due to the huuuuge insurance renewal quotes i've been getting, however I got a quote online today on a MX-3 V6 cheaper than I can insure my own 1.6 though, so I'm not out of the game just yet!

Thing is, I kinda had my heart set on getting a mk1 MX-5, so with both roughly costing the same once bought, insured & taxed it's ultimately just down to whichever I'd prefer to own and drive I guess.

I do love my '3, and since I've had it I've always wanted to drive a V6 so really the decision should already be made, but at the same time I equally like the rwd & convertible bit of the '5, everyone seems to rave about them and I've kinda wanted one for a long time so tbh I'm pretty stuck. Almost bought a very cheap one the other day but decided not to in the end.

I've seen a few people around here have owned mx-5's, so if any of you could chime in and lend some advice it'd be much appriciated. Just running costs (I'm starting uni in september so that's pretty important) and general thoughts really.

Cheers :)

• the mx3 is not as smother ride as a 3 and the 3 corners better unless you wanna go sideways lol my mate has a 5 and he said he wish he never sold the 3 but he dose like the 5 now lol

• personally for the rarity of it i would have the mx3. front end styling is similar to the mx5 and even though it is only a 1.8 V6 it does pull very well. i was pleasently supprised when i bought mine and i downgraded from a 2.0 ford. it is all down to preference and i prefer the mx3 hands down

• and it has an extra(ish) 2 seats with a fair size boot. if u were anywhere near me idtake u out for a spin as mine is pretty much standard

• I own both cars, MX5 handles better, more fun to drive in the wet, but power wise my KLZE MX3 pisses all over it, both are nice looking cars, personally I think the MX5 is a bit of a hairdressers car, I bought my one for my missus but she did not like it, (told me at the end of the summer!!) so I took it back off her, will be selling the MX5 in the spring when its gonna sell a bit easier

• **We found that, day-to-day, the MX-3 was an easier drive and marginally faster on Fenland roads - simply because it didn't react to every damned bump. It's also very much a better motorway/DC car.

But, not much beats roofless driving, especially on freezing days like these. The MX-5 is more reliable than the MX-3, easier to work on, has endless upgrades available for it and the Mk1 has poppyuppy headlights - which never get dull.**

• I havent driven an MX5 yet but I have driven MR2's and MGf's :oops:
    They are fun little cars but when you dont have any space you will notice it big time and end up borrowing cars to go and get something, if you have a 1.6 MX3 and the V6 is better for insurance go try a V6 first the difference is amazing plus you get to keep all your extras you bought plus there are quite a few V6 Mx's in Ireland with all the JDM parts you could ever wish for :D

But then again, if you like Iron Maiden or any heavy rock and you have long hair, the MX5 does have somewhere to put your hair straighteners :lol: :lol:

• @2ff56a666f=djmarcopolo:

I havent driven an MX5 yet but I have driven MR2's and MGf's :oops:
    They are fun little cars but when you dont have any space you will notice it big time and end up borrowing cars to go and get something, if you have a 1.6 MX3 and the V6 is better for insurance go try a V6 first the difference is amazing plus you get to keep all your extras you bought plus there are quite a few V6 Mx's in Ireland with all the JDM parts you could ever wish for :D

But then again, if you like Iron Maiden or any heavy rock and you have long hair, the MX5 does have somewhere to put your hair straighteners :lol: :lol:

The sound of the V6 itself is tempting enough on it's own :P Keeping all the stuff I bought would be a bit of a plus point too. Argh, I hate making decisions!

@2ff56a666f=Famine:

But, not much beats roofless driving, especially on freezing days like these. The MX-5 is more reliable than the MX-3, easier to work on, has endless upgrades available for it and the Mk1 has poppyuppy headlights - which never get dull.

All sounds good! :D Shouldn't be doing many motorway miles which is a relief. Is there any real reason to go for a 1.8 over a 1.6? Heard mixed reports so I'm not so convinced of whether it'd be worth the ~400 extra quid on insurance.

@2ff56a666f=daniel:

and it has an extra(ish) 2 seats with a fair size boot. if u were anywhere near me idtake u out for a spin as mine is pretty much standard

Shame I'm in a different country! :lol: Cheers for the offer though. The extra power in the V6 is the most tempting bit I'll admit.

@2ff56a666f=mx3gulf:

I own both cars, MX5 handles better, more fun to drive in the wet, but power wise my KLZE MX3 pisses all over it, both are nice looking cars, personally I think the MX5 is a bit of a hairdressers car, I bought my one for my missus but she did not like it, (told me at the end of the summer!!) so I took it back off her, will be selling the MX5 in the spring when its gonna sell a bit easier

I won't be doing much milage so really the car will just be for a bit of fun, and I think that's why I'm leaning toward the '5 a bit. I think I'll have to drive one and see how I feel then. I'd love a klze'd MX-3 though!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

• @8c2dce2069=Ryan:

All sounds good! :D Shouldn't be doing many motorway miles which is a relief. Is there any real reason to go for a 1.8 over a 1.6? Heard mixed reports so I'm not so convinced of whether it'd be worth the ~400 extra quid on insurance.

**With a Mk1, there's about 30 reasons, yes.

If you plan to go down the route of forced induction, most reports say the 1.6 takes to it more readily than the 1.8 - but you're already batting against a 90hp to 125hp deficit.**

• and remember that 90hp is the same as a stock saxo vtr which could be embarrassing lol.

• MX-5 will teach you a damn sight more about driving than a Saxo VTR. And you won't look like a twat into the bargain.

• I totally agree with you. But it would be pretty embarrassing getting whooped by a small french hatchback in your 2 seat sports convertable lol.

• The other bonus with an MX5 is that its rear wheels drive so you could go to Blanchardstown or liffey valley on a wet day and get just drift it around the car parks :D

Also the laydees love a convertible and my freind has one just to impress them, he is 32 and says its the cheapest date in the summer driving with the roof down to the beach and it may only cost fuel and a maccy D's for a definate score on a hot day. :D :D

The other problem is pretty much all convertables over 5 years old leak like a pensioner and in the rain you have to battle steamed up windows, wet carpets and smells that start to develope

• @54b7b559b1=daniel:

I totally agree with you. But it would be pretty embarrassing getting whooped by a small french hatchback in your 2 seat sports convertable lol.

**It has to be said that you just don't feel like trying in an MX-5. Or braking :D

But then both my MX-5s have been 1.8s.**

@54b7b559b1=djmarcopolo:

Also the laydees love a convertible and my freind has one just to impress them, he is 32 and says its the cheapest date in the summer driving with the roof down to the beach and it may only cost fuel and a maccy D's for a definate score on a hot day. :D :D

**This is very much true. The thing about driving cars that girls like is that girls like your car…

All you need for ultimate pulling power is a small child, a puppy, a Mazda MX-5 and a wedding ring. It'd be like a Lynx advert.**

@54b7b559b1=djmarcopolo:

The other problem is pretty much all convertables over 5 years old leak like a pensioner and in the rain you have to battle steamed up windows, wet carpets and smells that start to develope

**MX-5s are pretty good with that. Besides, you can get an entire replacement roof, fitted, for £300.

Also, the heaters are stunning.**

• Pussy patrol! :P

I might just leave an MX-5 then if the 1.8's are the ones to go for and just wait it out until I can insure them more cheaply. The joys of youth :roll:

• Id have one, be a 1.6 turbo though, 1.8 cast turbo manifolds are
    expensive or really hard to get hold of!

They can be 'man'd up' quite nicely with lowering, nice wide rims and
    of course a garage vary front splitter :D

• @7313ff33ab=Ryan:

Pussy patrol! :P

I might just leave an MX-5 then if the 1.8's are the ones to go for and just wait it out until I can insure them more cheaply. The joys of youth :roll:

The 1.8 should be barely more expensive than the 1.6 to insure. The problem you'll run into is the usual insurer bollocks about imports being harder to get parts for (bzzt They're all made on the same line in Hiroshima. Ohhhh yes), so you need to be aware of imports and they can be quite hard to spot because there can be no externally obvious signs (plate surround can be swapped, either to make it look like a UK car or, if you're Fapanese, a JDM-tyte-y0! car; Eunos Roadster badging has similar issues; underslung rear foggy is stock on UK cars, so that's no help). Run the plate through the DVLA (click "Vehicle Enquiry") and if the manufacture date is well before the first use date, it's an import.

The other bugger with MX-5s is special editions. Practically every Mk1 is a special edition of some sort and special editions mean more to insure, because a part sprayed Sparkle Green Metallic is so much harder to get than the same part sprayed Crystal White… :roll:**

@7313ff33ab=youdirtyfox:

Id have one, be a 1.6 turbo though, 1.8 cast turbo manifolds are expensive or really hard to get hold of!

**That limits you to either the BBR Turbo (rare as a virgin in Slough over the age of eight) or the Le Mans (no comparisons here - there's 24 of them).

You can buy the BBR Turbo kit now - for £2,500 - to strap onto any Mk1 1.6. Personally I'd get a 1.8 Mk1 and supercharge it (it's still on the list too), but insurance might be even more tricky for that :D**

• I'd never checked to see if there was a loading on the imports actually, just ran a few quotes now online:

Eunos Roadster 1.6 - 3300
    Eunos Roadster 1.8 - 3800

Vs.

MX-5 1.6 - 1200
    MX-5 1.8 - 1600

:shock:

The ~2k difference between them seems to be the same with any of the companies I checked with online. There's also an SE model listed for the non-import cars which bumps up the quote by another few hundred quid.

That sparkle green metallic paint must be awfully expensive!! :lol:

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB