Jono's KLZE Project - Turbo Build Begins

• if any one wants there emission tested give me a shout i have a tester

• @8382fdd377=james:

egr dosent effect the emissions
    only the cat dose
    egr only recurculates exhaust gasses to burn unburnt fule but also takes crap back in to the engine so i would take it off

Hmm I'd love to believe that but:
    @8382fdd377:

Description: The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve and its related components first appeared on automobiles in 1972. The valve may be controlled by vacuum or electronically depending on the year, make and manufacturer of the vehicle. The use of EGR is on the decline since manufacturers began to use fuel injection, which provides more accurate control over the fuel and air mixture.

Purpose: EGR systems help reduce the level of harmful oxides of nitrogen emissions (NOx) in the exhaust. This type of emission increases with combustion temperature. Although at first impression it may appear counter-productive, the EGR system does this by introducing calibrated amounts of exhaust gas into the engine’s intake system. Since the exhaust gas—for the most part—doesn’t burn, it takes up some of the space in the combustion chamber of the air/fuel mixture. As a result, combustion chamber temperature drops and so do NOx emissions.

• @69a75a064e:

EGR systems help reduce the level of harmful oxides of nitrogen emissions (NOx) in the exhaust. This type of emission increases with combustion temperature. Although at first impression it may appear counter-productive, the EGR system does this by introducing calibrated amounts of exhaust gas into the engine’s intake system. Since the exhaust gas—for the most part—doesn’t burn, it takes up some of the space in the combustion chamber of the air/fuel mixture. As a result, combustion chamber temperature drops and so do NOx emissions.

If you want to help the trees buy a Prius :lol: :?

• @1e4af27d38=james:

only the cat dose
    egr only recurculates exhaust gasses to burn unburnt fule but also takes crap back in to the engine so i would take it off

It may effect the emissons on the idle test but not for the worst it probably if anything make it cleaner, it is although a road traffic offence to re-route any crank case / rocker breathers to atmosphere or modify the OE EGR setup, after 1994.

Being a class 4 tester, i get all sorts of cars with performance modified breathers / EGR setups. As a tester you must test the vehicle on its merits.

I often have cars with no cats that pass the emissions no probs, quiite often have to remove breathers or blank EGR valves to get cars to pass.

• admin

Well, after alot of time and money I think I have finally worked out what is causing my car to run so crap!!

The timing was quite out, so with that fixed I no longer get missfire :D

I took the time to remove the air flow meter and test the connections, turns out that the air inlet thermo sensor is dead!!

So I have a new AFM on order should be here in a few days and hopefully the car will be running properly again :D

Jono

• admin

New AFM fitted….......... IT WORKS :D

It is still running a little rich, but I can look into that later, generally it drives like a different car.... very smooth... and I have my torque back

ooo ive missed this :twisted:

Jono

• nice one Jono. Thatll prob be the k8 ecu running you rich, git 'er done!

• admin

Thanks, im currently thinking about that one…

I have to decide what to do first....

Option 1) Get the K8 ECU re-mapped [Around £300]

Option 2) Get a Megasquirt system (Ready for future turbo plans) [Around £300 - 400]

Option 3) Get the exhaust done [Around £700 - 800 Full system and turbo ready manifolds]

Hmmm… hard to decide

I am swaying towards the ECU... but which option :(

Jono

• @70269442ba=jono:

Option 1) Get the K8 ECU re-mapped [Around £300]

Get the probinator chip, the guy is on cardomain, I'll find you the link if you want. Only £40/50 and sets VRIS correctly! Works on alot of k8 ecus, but not all though.
    @70269442ba=jono:

Option 2) Get a Megasquirt system (Ready for future turbo plans) [Around £300 - 400]

I just got a second hand one off mx-3.com for £100 plus post. Scared of it lol but should be fun. Really need wideband, map too now.

@70269442ba=jono:

Option 3) Get the exhaust done [Around £700 - 800 Full system and turbo ready manifolds]

Ebay turbo manifolds, DP - £200 delivered probably
    Decat - <£40
    Cat Back - £350?
    Turbo bridge pipe - £50??
    X member weld mod - £40?

I'd get megasquirt before a remap- that way you can infinitely remap, learn a shitload and be l33t at it by the time its turbo time!

• Just found this cant say what quality it would be.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97-Ford-Probe-MX-6-V6-GT-2-5L-KLZE-T3-T4-Turbo-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ016QQitemZ260233651823QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

BBBBBRRRRRRUUUUMMMMM ….......PPPPPSSSSSSTTTTT

I miss my dump valve :cry:

• admin

I have a number for someone who will do a complete remap on a dyno with the K8 ecu… custom programming.

I have been thinking about the probinator chip, yeah a link would be kool... £40 is not bad for a temporary setup.

Can the chip be fitted by me or does he need the ECU??

Ive had a look at the megasquirt stuff, I would personally like to build it myself so I know it is done right... but will see when it comes to it :)

My price list for exhaust:

Turbo Manifolds inc Delivery -> £200
    Hi Flow cat -> £150 ish (I have to have a cat, my car is a 1994)
    Mandral bent cat back -> £400
    Where did you find a turbo bridge... I was gonna see if I could have one made up?
    X member mod -> £20 -£40

Quite close to your list :D

Jono

• expensive hobby isn't it?!

This is probinator's car domain link with all about his chip- it's actually even cheaper!
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/728690/6
    You solder it in yourself, cheap n easy :)

My megasquirt came out of probetalk group buy, the guy who runs it/made them knows his shit, and its in a nice case :)

I made up the price for some sort of turbo bypass, just can't see it being more than that :lol: I'd imagine you can get one somewhere, but should be that hard to fab up. You getting t3/t4 turbo?

Hi flow cat- just swap your OEM cat in for MOT! You probably don't even need it with a young effecient ZE in. Have you had a ZE mot yet? Though I understand you want to play it by the book :)

• @990f7f2766=Mechanic:

@990f7f2766=james:

only the cat dose

It may effect the emissons on the idle test but not for the worst it probably if anything make it cleaner, it is although a road traffic offence to re-route any crank case / rocker breathers to atmosphere or modify the OE EGR setup, after 1994.

Being a class 4 tester, i get all sorts of cars with performance modified breathers / EGR setups. As a tester you must test the vehicle on its merits.

I often have cars with no cats that pass the emissions no probs, quiite often have to remove breathers or blank EGR valves to get cars to pass.

im pretty sure (tell me if im wrong ) that the egr is specifically to get rid of nox by burning it off, so exhaust gases are passed back through the engine (so much for cold air intakes etc) but in this country ive been told that one of the emissions we dont test for is nox however in japan its really vigorously tested for as it causes problems with smog or something.

as i said i could be wrong but that is what i was told just before i did the egr mod on my toyota hilux surf a couple o years back

• admin

Well I made the decision to get the probinator chip…

It is now on order and should be here in the next 2-3 weeks :D

Marco, it turns out that the price on his site is actually $45 which works out to around £24 inc delivery!!!

If the chip works well then I will let you all know! For now ive just gota wait.....

My plan now is to save up a bit of money over the next 2-3 months and hopefully get the exhaust system done 8)

Jono

• nice one! That's for nothing, worth a go for sure, And yea of course let us know how it rolls :)

sgt spike, you are spot on it reduces NOx, which is not tested for. Plenty of people from 4x4 to astras remove EGR, no-one seems to fail the MOT for it. I'll tell you how it goes for me when the time comes!

• @9992a75183=sgt:

@9992a75183=Mechanic:

@9992a75183=james:

only the cat dose

im pretty sure (tell me if im wrong ) that the egr is specifically to get rid of nox by burning it off, so exhaust gases are passed back through the engine (so much for cold air intakes etc) but in this country ive been told that one of the emissions we dont test for is nox however in japan its really vigorously tested for as it causes problems with smog or something.

as i said i could be wrong but that is what i was told just before i did the egr mod on my toyota hilux surf a couple o years back

Correct.

• admin

Hey all,

I haven't had alot of time to post on here, mostly thanks to my new job, which also meant that I have not had time to do much to the car, BUT…

I have been working on a particular part the car today.. THE ECU :D

After months of searching for a "backup" ECU I found a K820 on ebay and got it for a fiver!!!

Now I had previously turned down K820 ECU's but I thought for £5 I cant go wrong, and how right was I, 3 days later I have a backup ECU, I tested the K820 on the car (I normally run a K839) and it runs the car just as good as the original, which makes me really happy cos now I can fit my probinator chip :)

As im sure your all aware only particular ECU's will accept the chip, so since the backup ECU was a K820 I decided to not bother even thinking about checking it.

This morning I started the task of de-soldering the chip from my K839 ECU (Rather nervously!) After about an hour I had the chip removed, somehow I missed a tiny bit of solder on one of the legs which unfortunately broke one of the tracks on the board when I removed the chip, so after a bit of work I managed to replace the track with wire & resoldered the new probinator chip cradle into place, this took around 15 mins, I put in the nice new chip and put it all back together.............

The ecu went back into the car and.......

It started with no problems & runs very nice :D

The exhaust no longer smells rich, the exhaust tone is much deeper and the car seems to sound a little more aggressive.

Idle is nice, so I took it for a spin, very very very smooth, and there is a clear power difference, the car pulls all the way through the rev range, and feels very solid.

I am very very happy, gone are the days of the old ECU YAY!!!!

Oh it also very very quick :twisted: I love these cars!

Now for the exhaust!!!!!!!!!

Jono

• Jono man ur a fella after my own heart!!!!!! seriously sexy job done man. its nice how u kept the body true to the origional MX-3.

Just a quick one, why is the air intake breather black plastic pipe still in ur engine bay. ya know the one just about the rad that led into the stock air intake box? Just curious.

i plan doing same as u man, klze clutch turbo etc have ya any thoughts on a engine management system with a user interface for on ur dash????? thinking of getting the MAP ECU as a piggy back with my KL 36 ecu.

im a tech head like that, want to seem like im controlling my engine not my ecu lol,

btw hope the new job aint affecting ur important work on ur baby lol

• admin

Ahh.. there is a very logical reason for that still to be there.

You see it does actually provide good airflow into the top of the bay when yu are driving (Mazda didnt spend loads of time developing this stuff for nothing! lol)

As my air filter is in line with the exit of the pipe I am happy with it pushing nice cold air in!

When I move the intake down behind the bumper then I will remove it cos it does look a bit crap but it does serve a purpose at the mo :)

On another note;

Im pretty sure that the clutch is slipping now lol it would seem that the car has alot more power but the clutch cant handle it, so at some point I will need to swap in my new clutch.

Also due to a lovely thing called overtime im getting on track to start buying parts for my exhaust :D

Jono

• Good work Jono, makes the difference doesn't it! Runs very lean at idle too, so much better mileage all round. Getting some ebay headers and catback?

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB