Jono's KLZE Project - Turbo Build Begins

• @c3595ddd96=jono:

Changed the Cam Cover Seals - It was leaking oil before and managed to screw up the ignition (oily spark plugs and ht leads is not good!!)

This happened to my k8 too, oil on top of the plug. Rear bank of course - IM is a bit of a pita to take off. Think I shall change mine when the ZE arrives. Also trying to decide whether to replace the valve springs & retainers or not. You running ze springs & retainers? Worried about valve dropping due to weak retainers?

• umm, ive got oil in the front bank of mine
    you said ofcourse to i bein the rear bank
    is the front baddd??

• no that's good! Rear bank you gotta take of intake manifold. Front bank is a piece of piss! Just be very careful not to overtighten the bolts, they're very low torque setting.

• admin

@d26381720b=Marco:

You running ze springs & retainers? Worried about valve dropping due to weak retainers?

Yeah I have the standard ze springs & retainers, nah im not worried, im pretty carefull with it, I try not to red line as I have heard that doesnt help..

I will change them when I get to the engine rebuild for more boost… but for now my focus is building up the parts for the turbo to start with lol

Yeah my back bank was the worst with oil... it seems the seals around the spark plug holes dont last that long, and they are the first to go!

Jono

• admin

New engine bay pic (Needs a clean and polish!!!)

Jono

• yum :D
    Did you rotate your oil cap for the photo or did it just line up like that? :lol:

So the stock strut bar fits? Or did you pack it up? Looks like you're missing a bolt :o

Great work Jono

• admin

@d29274129a=Marco:

Did you rotate your oil cap for the photo or did it just line up like that?

Lol, well the cap comes with the middle not stuck down! So i did it up tight and put on the middle sticker so it will allways be perfect :D

@d29274129a=Marco:

So the stock strut bar fits? Or did you pack it up? Looks like you're missing a bolt :o

Yeah it fits no problem!! I have a little wear on the pipe that goes from the front cam cover to the back, but other then that it fits nice :)

As for the bolt… when it removed the strut a few weeks ago to do the cam cover seals I lost one down into the bay -> forgot about it... test drove it with the new leads and heard it fall out on the road, but I didnt find it :(

When I get time I will nip down the road to the local hardware place, he should have one :D

Next on the list is possibly replace the o2 sensors, as its not running right, possibly too rich, ive had a look at the inlet etc and all seems to be ok (no splits or leaks) so next is test the o2's and replace if required!! :roll:

Jono

• k8 ecu will make you run rich apparently. Could be your problem! You should get a probinator chip. He has a car domain where he explains how to and which k8 ecus it works on.

Tried pulling codes? should reveal o2 problems. But also you can measure the resistance and manual says what it should be.

Can't wait to be in your shoes!

• are u using th egr valve or not i would recommend removing the egr all together and buying the kl31 ecu thats wot ive done in mine and it runs sweet and no warning light either :D although there is a draw back to this which is the ecu is restricted to 118mph but to be fair when will u need to go anyquicker than that. and it deffinatly dosent effect the acceleration to get to that speed beleive me.

• admin

Im looking into getting the K8 ecu chipped as I know someone who does ecu custom re-programming…

I heard that the KL-31 was not as good as a chipped K8 ecu.. so instead of the bother trying to find a kl-31 im just gonna get mine chipped!!

Yea I have an o2 sensor tester that im going to try 2morrow, I just need to fix these last few problems and it should be up to speed :D

Been to busy with work & life to spend time on it, but trying to fit it all in lol

Hopefully should start building up the exhaust system in the next few months, then it will sound as good as it goes :twisted:

Jono

• @a04ab34fe1=kami_no_michi:

i would recommend removing the egr all together

Hows that worked for you with MOT emissions test?

• admin

@716b7d4541=Marco:

@716b7d4541=kami_no_michi:

i would recommend removing the egr all together

Hows that worked for you with MOT emissions test?

Good point… ?

• egr dosent effect the emissions
    only the cat dose
    egr only recurculates exhaust gasses to burn unburnt fule but also takes crap back in to the engine so i would take it off

• well mine is a jreg so i had no problems with emission hence no cat also. but if u need emission testing i guess ur screwed i only mentioned it cus its 1 of the 3 things that restrict the cars performance the other 2 being cat and maf
    im hoping to get rid of my maf in the summer for a link g4 standalone ecu.

• if any one wants there emission tested give me a shout i have a tester

• @8382fdd377=james:

egr dosent effect the emissions
    only the cat dose
    egr only recurculates exhaust gasses to burn unburnt fule but also takes crap back in to the engine so i would take it off

Hmm I'd love to believe that but:
    @8382fdd377:

Description: The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve and its related components first appeared on automobiles in 1972. The valve may be controlled by vacuum or electronically depending on the year, make and manufacturer of the vehicle. The use of EGR is on the decline since manufacturers began to use fuel injection, which provides more accurate control over the fuel and air mixture.

Purpose: EGR systems help reduce the level of harmful oxides of nitrogen emissions (NOx) in the exhaust. This type of emission increases with combustion temperature. Although at first impression it may appear counter-productive, the EGR system does this by introducing calibrated amounts of exhaust gas into the engine’s intake system. Since the exhaust gas—for the most part—doesn’t burn, it takes up some of the space in the combustion chamber of the air/fuel mixture. As a result, combustion chamber temperature drops and so do NOx emissions.

• @69a75a064e:

EGR systems help reduce the level of harmful oxides of nitrogen emissions (NOx) in the exhaust. This type of emission increases with combustion temperature. Although at first impression it may appear counter-productive, the EGR system does this by introducing calibrated amounts of exhaust gas into the engine’s intake system. Since the exhaust gas—for the most part—doesn’t burn, it takes up some of the space in the combustion chamber of the air/fuel mixture. As a result, combustion chamber temperature drops and so do NOx emissions.

If you want to help the trees buy a Prius :lol: :?

• @1e4af27d38=james:

egr dosent effect the emissions
    only the cat dose

It may effect the emissons on the idle test but not for the worst it probably if anything make it cleaner, it is although a road traffic offence to re-route any crank case / rocker breathers to atmosphere or modify the OE EGR setup, after 1994.

Being a class 4 tester, i get all sorts of cars with performance modified breathers / EGR setups. As a tester you must test the vehicle on its merits.

I often have cars with no cats that pass the emissions no probs, quiite often have to remove breathers or blank EGR valves to get cars to pass.

• admin

Well, after alot of time and money I think I have finally worked out what is causing my car to run so crap!!

The timing was quite out, so with that fixed I no longer get missfire :D

I took the time to remove the air flow meter and test the connections, turns out that the air inlet thermo sensor is dead!!

So I have a new AFM on order should be here in a few days and hopefully the car will be running properly again :D

Jono

• admin

New AFM fitted….......... IT WORKS :D

It is still running a little rich, but I can look into that later, generally it drives like a different car.... very smooth... and I have my torque back

ooo ive missed this :twisted:

Jono

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB