Jono's KLZE Project - Turbo Build Begins

• admin

I got the IM as part of the engine from Nippon Spares, they are a jap importer.

So last night I tried the new ECU, guess what… it didnt work :( so until I work out whats wrong with it, or get a new one I will have to run on the K8 ecu, which will be crap. :(

Noticed one of the rad pipe clips has become loose, so will replace that tonight.

The bonnet cover is going back on tonight, then when the new tie rod ends & lower swivel joint bolts arrive tomorrow I should be able to go for a test drive, although im not expecting much with the K8 ECU :(

Also I fogot to say before... I wasnt able to fit the new clutch, well the clutch seemed to fit ok, but the release bearing was wayyy to small :( so I will be having a moan at the company who built it and should be able to swap it over soon, looks like its not that hard to remove the g box without the whole engine again!

Jono

• You realy want to think about getting a decent exhaust buddy. Running on the standard Manifolds is lame and restricts lots of power but you will still get alot of sound.

Here is the difference..

Even on the K8 ECU it will go loads better than the K8, enjoy the ride. Dont blast it around too much untill you get the KL31/36 ECU up and running. The VRIS points are different so you wont get the full experience just yet. You wil need to extend the wire on the MS8 I/M VRIS.

Good luck, nice to see it in 8)

• admin

Thanks for the tip Tom, i wanna get better headers but if I do then i when i build the turbo install i will have 2 sets of headers!! But I will think about it.

I extended the connector last night and it seems to work ok 8)

Where is the best place to get the exhaust headers??

Well it seems to have much more torq with the stock ecu.. lol my dad decided to test that outside the garage last night :P

The other problem I have is the acc cable is too slack - any ideas or tips for that??

Thanks

Jono

• admin

Just a thought…. if I buy the turbo exhaust pipes, e.g. the probe kit, would I be able to fit the headers then add the other pipes at another date with the turbo??

Jono

• admin

I took the car for a short drive round the block last night, and OMG!!!!!

Considering im only running the K8 ECU, K8 Exhaust Manifold & the engine is not quite running right!!!!!

What a difference! I still have a big smile this morning :D

Cant wait to get home tonight and get it done, then… OPEN ROAD!!!! :twisted:

Jono

• admin

So im now actually driving the car :D

It is quite an impressive change, at normal driving the car is so smooth, and fun! Then when you put your foot down it suddenly becomes a completely different car :twisted:

So now its onto stage 2: The Turbo Build

As everyone knows, this is no cheap upgrade, which is why my turbo build will drag out over the next few months, plus I have some bills to pay :(

All going well I should be ordering the first parts sometime in june :D

So until then, its time to start learning as much about turbo installs as I can!

Jono

• Did you get the ECU working??

• admin

No the ECU does not work, not even getting any codes,

But its all good news, as I have just spoken to Nippon Spares and they are going to replace the ECU for me :D

Also spoken to the clutch people and they are going to replace the non fitting release bearning.. so YAY :)

And ive gotta say, driving the car is just so much fun now, its an even better drive at low speeds, plus it looks like I am now doing more miles to the tank - not sure how that works! lol

Jono

• The Turbo build is a mission on the MX3.

Im currently in the process. I ordered a kit from Pakfeifer Tuning and it is soon to be resolved but has been dragging out. Any kit requires extensive modification to fit the MX3. The engine support needs cutting and moving for the Downpipe. The ZE will only handle 6-7psi boost due to the 10:1, so good mapping is a must. As son as my kit gets here i will bolt it on.

Im going to rebuild the ZE over the winter with all the internals i want so i can get 400whp, my goal 8) I have already bored my rails for the SR20 DET injectors and as soon as the kit arrives ill order the 500cc ones.

Im going to run Megasquirt II

• admin

Yeah I no,

Im getting a x-member from a broken mx-3 which I will mod for the down pipe, this way I can still use the car while I build up the kit and also if i screw it up, I wont be without a car.

My install is gonna be generally custom made by myself, also where I work (in a school) the D & T tech used to work for Ford, and he can build pretty much anything, so any brackets etc he said he will make for me :D

Plus my dad is a pretty good welder!

Let me know how that turbo build goes with the MS II, im planning on going MegaSquirt with the V3 board! Still have a lot of research to do tho!

Im only looking for 4-5 PSI for now, but will look into a ZE rebuild after, lol as no doubt I will be up for more power.

Jono

• admin

I have been thinking alot about the next few mods for the MX-3, and have decided at some point to do what I never thought I would…

Im going nitro!!!!!

Yep, the plan has upgraded to a ZE-T NOS install, however I only plan to do the NOS install after I have rebuilt the motor, which will be some time after the turbo install, hopefully next year :D

Also I have noticed the sudden trend of car stripping here lol but unfortunately im not gona go this route, im gona keep the car as standard as possible & plan to make it more comfortable for everyday driving.. but with a twist... hehe

Im gona install a semi hidden rear srut bar, and a few other things that I havent thought of yet! lol

Anyway thats the latest thinking, however is still a plan :)

Jono

• admin

Hopefully good news,

I have just taken delivery of a replacement Release Bearing, so I should be able to get the clutch swapped over within the next 2 - 3 weeks :P

Jono

• admin

Small Update:

Havnt had the time to take the car off road to swap the clutch yet, but that will happen soon.

I completed my boot install yesterday (will post pics soon) & am quite pleased with myself lol

I have started installing blue silicone vacuum lines.

Also have a brand new set of Devil Alloys on :D (again, pics soon)

Jono

• admin

Finnaly installed the new Dials :D

However did manage to kill the speedo :(

It works now and then lol, got a new one on order.

Jono

• admin

Updated Pics:

Old Alloys:

New Alloys:

Boot Install:

Dials: (Crappy Pic from Phone)

Jono

• nice work i might coyp your boot install :D

• you have any photos of what you did with the boot etc how you fixed the sides etc.

• that install looks smart i want to do a similar thing, but with out the 6x9s and the power cap. looks good and keeps boot space.

what have you done with your old alloys?

• admin

Old alloys are sitting in the garage! lol

Jono

• wanna get rid of them?

name the price.

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB