Jono's KLZE Project - Turbo Build Begins

• admin

It only had 2 owners before me, both of them took very good care of it!

There is no evidence of a respray, and some of the car was starting to fade when I got it, so I gave it a good T-Cutting and that made a BIG difference!!

On another note: Insurance

If anyone is thinking of doing the swap or even as far as I plan with a Turbo, I highly recommend speaking to Adrian Flux for insurance.

They quoted me half what I payed last year with my old insurer, plus the company they put me with allow any mod, and only charge you £25 a time if you declare, so for me it will be: Standard - KLZE - Turbo, it will cost me the £50 + any change to premium, which is only about £200 with the ZE & Turbo!!!

As I am a young driver this makes a massive difference to how much I fork out each year - Well Pleased! :D

Jono

• When you say young driver, what do you mean?
    I'm 22, 3 points on my license, live in a very low crime rate area and my insurance cover won't let me change anything performance wise.
    how old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

• admin

im 21,

Have a look at their web site, it explains all:

http://www.adrianflux.co.uk

Jono

• I'm already with Adrian Flux (am 23, one month away from first NCB) and they've been really good so far, best quote by far, but I was skeptical about the engine change.

I was kind of considering not telling them as I anticipated it going up by about 600, but if you're saying it's only 200ish extra with ZE and a turbo, then I'll definitely declare it.

They're not so good with non-sporty cars though. When I crashed my MX-3 I got a little diesel 205 as a run around in the meantime, and changing the policy from the MX-3 V6 (paid upfront) and when I changed the policy over to the 205 with about 6 months left, I only got £150 back. Bloody rip-off considering I'd paid 1700 for the policy.

So yeah conclusion; Adrian Flux are spot on for modded motors, but shit for regular runarounds.

• admin

Ok, I have been getting the ZE ready for a few weeks now, and most parts are on order for the swap!

Over the last 6 weekends I have been working on the IM - Polishing, which has been a real pain!

Now I have painted the cam covers:

Rear Cam Cover:

Front Cam Cover: (Before)

Front Cam Cover (After - Some Letters need to be touched up as they got of blue on them)

Inlet Manifold: (Nearly Finished Polish & Before Paint)

Hopefully tonight I should be able to finish the IM and get everything back onto the engine, then…. I should be able to get the ZE swapped in the next few weeks :D

Jono

• Nice work buddy, sanding the Inlet is a pain but worth it.

• Looking tasty mate, bet you're excited as fook.

• thats it im saving for a klze!!!

• admin

Yep, cant wait!!

If all goes to plan I should be swapping weekend after next! :twisted:

I got most of the stuff back on last night, just gota do a few bits to the IM tonight and then all I have to do is wait for my clutch & brakes.

Jono

• There is a K series UD pulley on ebay for £30 and £12 delivery!
    LINK

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAZDA-MX3-1-8L-UNDERDRIVE-PULLEY-2-5L-PROBE-626-MX6_W0QQitemZ150109776107QQcategoryZ52640QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Get it, 5 Bhp extra due to less rotational friction from underdriving auxilliarys…You will need a shorter belt for the Power steering and Alternator from Halfords but for a cost of £50 for it all its a sweet mod...

Also try and stretch for a Fidenza flywheel, they aint cheap but if you want rapid accel its a little help!

• admin

Ahh Man!!! Dont do this too me! lol

Not sure if I can afford it with the bumper aswell!!!

Can it be done after the swap - I assume the motor would need to be pulled again?

Luckly my fiancee has just bought a new car so I can "borrow" that if me MX-3 is off the road now! HAHAHA

As for the flywheel I was thinking about it, but decided to keep the K8 one as I want the car to be a comfort everyday drive - cant be assed to have it keep dropping revs when idle!!

BTW: The ZE is all back together now - will post some pics l8r

Jono

• admin

Pic as promised!!!

:twisted:

Jono

• phwoar!lookin beautiful mate:D

• admin

BTW: The blue has come out a little light with the flash, have a look a few posts above (on page 1) for the full effect of the front cam cover.

Anyone notice the VRIS valves? 8)

Jono

• Looks sweet, id deffo try and do the flywheel and UD pulley whilst the engines out as the UD pulley needs minor grinding of the ally block near the crank…

• admin

Ok, I have decided to leave the pully for now!!

Tommy, I might be down Looe sometime this month for my cousins 18th. :D

Looks like my parts will arrive tuesday & wednesday - so all I need now is the various oils & fluids & replacement belts and im ready for the swap - all going well I should do it next weekend!!

Jono

• admin

Brakes have arrived :D

Black Diamond - Drilled & Grooved disks all round. (Black Diamond Predator Pads AR too)

Just waiting for the clutch - if that arrives by friday then the ZE is goin in baby!!! :twisted:

Jono

• That engine is looking sweet..

Good luck with the swap, take lots of pics and make lots of notes as yo go. We could do with a swap guide on here… :wink:

• admin

Looks like I have everything I need now:

The MX-3 has gone to bed early, as it has a few big days ahead of it :D

The swap is going ahead tomorrow… :shock:

Jono

• nice one mate and good luck….

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB