Distributor… unplugged/plugged back in..now car wont start

• Guys.. help!!
    Initially engine started missing when hot, so was thinking it was a Dizzy problem. (1997 mx). So unplugged (just the 2 plugs) it to get a better look and to compare it with the one on my Presso.
    Now it wont start(not cranking). Definitely an immobiliser issue as the yellow light does not come on now. It will come on once after I disconnect battery for few seconds.It will bump start though.Any ideas how I can sort it?
    Is it caused by unplugging Dizzy or has something else happened? :?

• \first off fella try pulling the codes from it this can be done for free see this thread..

http://www.uk-mx3.com//forum/viewtopic.php?t=1463

once you have done that post the results here and we try and help…
    if i suspect correctly you may have disturbed the system and it may require a re-sync.. but pull the codes first and see what may have been stored..

Rainy...

• Have you done the obvious and checked all your fuses?
    Have you tried a different battery?
    Try plugging and unplugging the dizzy repeatedly to clean the contacts and check all the pins on the dizzy are still there and not bent etc.

• After playing about with fuses/relays/connections I decided to swap the starter motor and put the one on from my Presso, and it starts..??? :? :?
    Immobiliser light comes on and goes out.
    So just back to the original fault of it missing when hot. Once its up to temperature it starts missing after about 5 - 10 mins.

• if its starting to miss when it gets up to temperature, check the induction pipe does not have any cracks or air leaks in it

• @ddee7ed163=martin:

After playing about with fuses/relays/connections I decided to swap the starter motor and put the one on from my Presso, and it starts..??? :? :?
    Immobiliser light comes on and goes out.
    So just back to the original fault of it missing when hot. Once its up to temperature it starts missing after about 5 - 10 mins.

Might be coil, lead, or plug etc these all can break down when hot.

If you had some plastic pliers i would loosen all leads so they are just clipping onto plugs. Warm up wait for the miss then lift each one in turn and see which one does not make a difference to the engine miss. Then you could swap that lead with another on the car and if the problem moves with the lead then its that if the problem stays maybe the cap or spark plug is cracked.

This will only work if its a ignition miss rather than anything else, good starting point.

• Leads and plugs are all new and new dizzy cap. Had to use existing rotor arm (out of stock) but cleaned up.
    Induction pipe is ok as I checked when I was replacing fuel filter.

• Maybe an injector issue.
    Try pulling codes just in case.

• Haven't pulled codes b4, but have seen it posted so will have a read and give it a go over weekend. Although my mate has offered to carry out diagnostics on Tues but will give it a go myself.
    Only other thing I have noticed is that it is sometimes (not every time) taking 2 or 3 seconds to start.Doesn't sound much but usually starts immediately.
    Do you think it could be the dizzy?

Copyright 2021 UK-MX3.com | Powered by NodeBB